|

SIRF Awardees by Gender, Ethnicity, Caste and Geographical Origin

Figure 1(a): Distribution of RFs according to the gender


Related to relevance, the team analysed who has benefited from the research fund. 23 percent of the Research Fellows are women (Figure 1.a) while for the AGs there is a better gender balance of 40/60 female/males obtaining the AGs (Figure 1.b).

 

Figure 1(b) Gender difference of AG

Gender distribution in AG awardees is more favourable about 40% AG women researchers compared to 23% RF women researchers. 

 

Figure 2(a) Geographic origin of RFs

Geographical Distribution of Research Fellow

Majority of the RF applicants were from Kathmandu Valley (45.6%) followed by Tarai districts (29.8%) and hill districts (23.7%). 

Table 1(a) Geographical Distribution of RF Applicants and Awardees

Geographical Area Applicants Awarded
  2006 2007 Total 2006 2007 Total
Kathmandu Valley 47 51 98 6 4 10
Hill Districts 9 42 51 5 4 8
Tarai Districts 15 49 64 5 3 8
Outside Nepal 1* 1** 2 0 0 0
Total 72 143 215 15 11 26

 

 Figure 2(b): Geographic origin of AGs

Geographical Distribution of Apprenticeship Grant

There were more proposals from researchers/students living in hill districts(48.0%) than in Tarai districts (34.4%) and in Kathmandu Valley (17.6%).

Table 1(b): Geographical Distribution of AG Applicants and Awardees

Geographical area Applicants Approved
  2006 2007 Total 2006 2007 Total
Kathmandu Valley 18 66 84 14 14 28
Hill Districts 30 199 229 27 41 68
Tarai Districts 23 141 164 20 40 60
Total 71 406 477 61 95 156
             

 

Ethnicity and Caste Distribution of RF

About 19% of the RF applicants were from the Madheshi community and the rest about 81% from the HIll community: the ratio of Madheshi and hill population was 34:66 in 2001.

Table 2(a): Community wise FR proposals received and approved by in 2006-07

Community Received Approved
Hill Community    
2006 56 11
2007 117 9
Sub-total 173 20
Madheshi Community    
2006 16 4
2007 26 1
Sub-total 42 5
Total 215 25

 

Ethnicity and Caste Distribution of AG

Most of the AG applicants, about 82% were from hill community and the rest 18% from Madheshi community and again the percentage of Madheshi researchers applying for AG declined from 24% in 2006 to aobut 17% in 2007.

Table 2(b): Community wise AG proposals received and approved by in 2006-07

Community Received Approved
Hill Community    
2006 54 49
2007 336 77
Sub-total 390 126
Madheshi Community    
2006 17 12
2007 70 18
Sub-total 87 30
Total 477 156

 Source: SIRF Mid Term Report, Nov 2007